ZO >  Partners >

Partners & Fellowships

American Universities
Chinese Universities
European Universities (Erasmus)
Japanese Universities
Korean Universities

American Partner Universities through the Cluster of Excellence "Asia and Europe"

We have intensive research cooperations and academic staff exchanges with several universities in the United States and Canada. Formal associations also exist with three institutions.  


Chinese Partner Universities

European Erasmus Partner Universities

ERASMUS, the mobility programme of the European Union, was established in 1987 with the goal of promoting cooperation between universities within the EU and other European countries (EU candidate countries, Switzerland, Norway, Turkey) as well as the mobility of students and instructors.

ERASMUS enables students to complete part of their degree programme at a European partner university. No tuition fees are charged and students receive a small monthly mobility allowance. But what makes the programme particularly attractive is the supporting infrastructure: simplified registration process at the partner universities, academic contacts, housing assistance and often language courses at little or no cost.

Information on application procedures:

For Students coming to Heidelberg from a Partner University
You will have to apply through the Erasmus coordinators at your own university prior to coming to Heidelberg. Please note that we offer about half a dozen classes in English related to East Asia per semester, especially at the MA level, most courses will however be conducted in German and the respective East Asian languages.

For Students from Heidelberg in Asian and Transcultural Studies applying for ERASMUS to study at a Partner university:

What to do:

  • Choose a university:
    Find a list with participating Universities below or click here.
  • Check the application requirements of your intended exchange university (i.e. carefully read their homepage or ask them) before sending us an application! Only apply, if you meet their requirements, for example if you have the minimum language test results.
  • Prepare your application documents:
    • letter of motivation including reason for choosing your desired destination and what you intend to study there (preferably in English)
    • curriculum vitae including extracurricular activities
    • grade certificates (Abitur, University transcripts)
    • language proficiency certificates for the respective European or Asian languages An application for British universities requires a prior TOEFL- or IELTS-test! For Cambridge a minimum TOEFL ibT score of 100 is required, for SOAS 105+, both with at least 25 points in each category. Alternatively you must score a minimum overall grade of 7.0 in the IELTS-test with at least 7.0 in each category.
    • letter of recommendation (Cambridge)
    • for students with a major other than Asian Sciences: confirmation by your Heidelberg study department, that credits received abroad will be recognized here and confirmation by the study department of your desired partner universitie(s) stating, that you will be allowed take their courses and get credits for them.
  • Submit your application as one pdf-file to studentexchange@hcts.uni-heidelberg.de.

The application deadline for Heidelberg students is January 31 for studying abroad in the autumn semester of the same year or in the spring semester of the following year

Please be aware, that the level of the ERASMUS stipend for B.A., M.A. or Ph.D. students each year depends on the total annual amount of EU ERASMUS funding. Please check the homepage of the ERASMUS office for further information regarding this point.

As for your chances to be accepted for the program: Placement is usually most competitive for British universities.

List of Erasmus Partners


Ghent University (1x10) regional focus on China
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (2x12) regional focus on Japan;
history, law, religion (classes in English)


Paris 7 (Denis Didérot) (1x5) focus on East Asia
Paris 178 (institut national des langues et civilisations orientales/INALCO) (2x5) regional focus on East Asia, Southasia and Southeastasia;
art history, literature, religion, history

Great Britain

Cambridge University (1x9) regional focus on Japan;
history, political science, anthropology, literature, early modern Japan
London School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) (1x10) regional focus on East Asia;
history, economy, religion, literature, anthropology, sociology


Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest (8x5) regional focus on Japan


University of Ca' Foscari, Venice (2x10) regional focus on East Asia;
popular culture, literature, anthropology


Leiden University (1x10) regional focus on East and South Asia;
history, anthropology, early modern Japan, Korean studies (classes in English)


University of Oslo (2x5) regional focus on East and South Asia


Jagiellonian University (2x6) regional focus on Japan;


Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (4x10) regional focus on East Asia
University of Madrid (2x12) regional focus on East Asia;
intellectual history, popular culture, Japanese economy


Basel (1x10) regional focus on Europe and Asia;
European global history, international relations
Zurich University (2x10) regional focus on Europe and Asia;
politics, economy and society, art history, Buddhism, literature


Frequently asked questions ragarding the Erasmus Exchange (FAQ)


Can I also choose a university that is not a listed as a partner above?

Talk to your Erasmus coordinator about starting a partnership with your chosen university or ask at another related institute in Heidelberg University, that has an exchange agreement with your university of choice.

Where can I read about former participants’ experiences?

In the info-room of the Erasmus Office and here: https://www.uni-heidelberg.de/international/erasmus/berichte/ (German only)

Which requirements do I have to meet?

You have to be a student of Heidelberg University and you have to have the necessary language and research skills in order to participate in the exchange.

What happens after I sent in my application?

Usually the applicants are informed by mid-April, whether they have been accepted. Sometimes they are invited to an interview to verify their language and research skills.

Is there an info event that I can participate in?

Yes, there will be one mid-December in the Karl Jaspers Centre.

What is the value of the Erasmus scholarship and what are the criteria by which people are chosen?

All accepted exchange students will receive an Erasmus mobility scholarship. You can find information on the value here: https://www.uni-heidelberg.de/international/erasmus/outgoing/stipendium.html

Are there other/ additional possibilities to get a scholarship?

You can also apply for other scholarships, for example from the DAAD.

You can search for scholarship options on the following homepages: https://www.stipendienlotse.de/ or www.mystipendium.de/ (German only)

Which documents do I have to provide?

Please see the list of application documents above.

Do I have to pay study fees to the university abroad?

Erasmus students are exempt from study fees at foreign universities.



Japanese Partner Universities

The figures after the names stand for the expected number of eligible students for the next academic year. Please send enquiries and applications either to the International Office (*) or to the Japanese Studies department.

Korean Partner Universities

Please send enquiries and applications for either to the International Office.


The International Relations Office offers extensive advising and support services to international students and applicants.

Information for international applicants

Information for international students

Information for international exchange students

Last edited by: SV
Latest Revision: 2020-01-10
zum Seitenanfang/up